Saturday, March 3, 2007

Planning for technology instruction

According to both LeBaron(2001) and Jarvela(2001) planning is essential when creating lessons which involve technology. Lessons should be meaningful to students with a solid foundation in the curriculum. By using technology, students can do more than memorize facts. They can search to find meanings and understanding behind the curriculum. Technology lessons also create motivation in students to become involved in their education.

There seems to be a lot of planning and extra thought needed in technology lessons. Not only do you need to decide what part of the curriculum the lesson will address and how you will implement it but you will have to look through websites, create WebQuests, create your own rubrics/grading options, decide which type of technology you will use, and figure out who much teaching time is needed. You also have to ask yourself, "Will I need to plan for an extra day to teach how to use the technology to be used in the lesson?"

When talking to other teachers, one question I hear about technology is "When do I have the time to do technology lessons when we haven't covered (subject) yet?" I sometimes find myself thinking this as well. Many times I hear myself saying, "I'll try to get computer lab time in, but I'll have to wait until next year to do fun technology lessons." I know this is wrong but being a first year teach I am so overwhelmed with learning the curriculum myself then teaching it in a short period of time, I have a hard time getting started.


LeBaron, J. F.(2001). “Curiculum Planning for Technology-Rich Instruction” Technology In Its Place. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco.

Jarvela, S.(2001). “Technology and Learning: Getting the Story Out” Technology In Its Place. Jossey-Bass: San Francisco.

No comments: