Sunday, February 25, 2007

How NCLB affects me...

After looking over a few websites to refresh my memory on NCLB, one thing caught my attention. According to NCLB, all students should be able to read. I did not see anything about comprehension. For me the two should go hand in hand. A student might be able to read the passage on a test but if they can't comprehend it how can he answer the questions correctly? The same thing is true for math. Not all problems are a number sentence/model written out. Higher level math problems include critical thinking and comprehension. For my second graders, they not only need to know how to read a word problem, they need to comprehend and use clues to decipher if they are going to add, subtract, pattern, group, etc.

NCLB has helped to create a consistency throughout the state in terms of curriculum and mandated testing (SOLs) but sometimes I wonder if the curriculum we hold them accountable for is a little advanced for them developmentally. As for accreditation, is it truly fair to punish a school because they have low marks for tardies and absences? Administration can only do so much in ways of gentle reminders to parents. In the end it is the parent's responsibility to get their child to school.

1 comment:

jomcgovernitec545 said...

Hi Melanie,

I think the whole NCLB agenda could fall back on parents really. There are so many disparities within the legislation that it frustrates me to no end.

And yes, we should absolutely pay attention to comprehension. I worked at a literacy center after school for some time and I couldn't believe the things I saw - comprehension-wise, dyslexia, autism. The list is endless and how do we go about alleviating the problems within schools/educational systems? We barely have time to breathe on a daily basis.

good points.

joanne